Starlit Yoga (location map
Monday, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
09/25/17 - 12/04/17 (10 weeks)
Music Together Big Kids classes for children 5-7 years old!
Many parents of 5-, 6-, and 7-year-olds ask, “What’s next?” and “Is my child ready for piano/violin/instrument lessons?” Music Together Big Kids is an ideal preparation for—or complement to—that kind of formal music instruction. By continuing the path of Basic Music Competence begun in mixed-age classes, Big Kids lays the foundation for Basic Music Literacy in a playful, engaging, and familiar setting and paves the way for musical enjoyment in school, in lessons, and in life.
What’s in a class…
- Structured activities such as conducting, game songs, solo and ensemble experiences, improvisation, movement, music-reading readiness, and solfège to name just a few.
- Activities satisfy both the fun-loving and challenge-ready natures of 5-, 6-, and 7-year-olds and provide opportunities for leadership, confidence building, social interactions with peers
- Mixed-stage approach means that children’s individual temperaments, learning styles, and developmental stage are honored and participation is choice-based. Children this age are ready to learn about being a part of a group, about taking turns, and about following rules.
- Secondary musical development is the period in which children start on the path to Basic Music Literacy. Basic Music Literacy is simply being able to recognize the elements that can be associated with music and the focus is on pre-literacy behaviors and skills.
- Lesson plans—typically have fewer songs because more time is spent developing activities for each song.
- Rhythm and tonal patterns—recorded on the Big Kids CDs to reinforce the games and activities in class